Play * Laughter * Joy * Trust * Imagination
- Play is our birthright. It is the natural state of the child, no matter how ill or distressed. As medical clowns, we are partners in play.
- Laughter is an act of sweet surrender to life in the present moment. When we're laughing, we're not worrying about tomorrow or dwelling on the past. Laughter is a confirmation that we are witnessed, that we are loved, that we are here together. On this planet. In this room.
- Laughing with others in a spirit of joy is different than laughing “at” others. Clowns make fun of themselves, and through this humility, earn identification and trust.
- Medical clowning helps build a bridge of trust between the child and the health care environment. Trust is what gives meaning to the relationship between patients and caregivers, and has been shown to be important to clinical outcomes.
- The art of Clown ignites the imagination, which through its transformative nature, empowers the child and provides freedom from the weight and helplessness of illness.
- To see medical clowning and the clinical benefits of laughter integrated into health care
- To provide clown services to all children in hospitals, hospices, and care facilities
- To offer clown, humor and play workshops to help fund our hospital work
- To educate the American public about the Art of Clown